26 Alden Street
Corrected text: In a town whose economy turned on the luck of the fishery, poverty was often no farther away than one capsized boat or a couple of empty nets. By 1870, there were so many poor people that Provincetown constructed this large Alms House, also known as the Town Asylum, to shelter them. In 1956, it was transformed into a municipal nursing home called Cape End Manor, which was housed here until a new facility was built at 100 Alden. The asylum was converted into town offices and renamed the Grace Gouveia Building, in honor of Grace Gouveia (pictured). This beloved teacher, poet, and social activist immigrated from Portugal in 1915 at the age of 6. She died in 1998. [Photograph of Gouveia (undated), by and courtesy of Jay Critchley.]
29 Alden Street
Corrected text: Many Azorean fishermen spent their first nights in Provincetown in this large house, George “Moe” Van Dereck wrote in the 2014 Provincetown Portuguese Festival Booklet, which was devoted to Alden Street. The 1910 census showed 54 boarders domiciled here, all Portuguese, most in their 20s and 30s. The shack was the David Rothman Frame Shop in the 1960s, before Van Dereck turned it into Moe’s Fancy Alden Street Workshop, where you could get your guitar fixed, buy supplies, and pick up tickets for the hootenannies that Van Dereck organized. “Builder, musician, volunteer fireman, sculptor, beachcomber, and dump-picker extraordinaire,” as The Banner described him, he’s married to the artist and gallerist Simie Maryles, of 435 Commercial. His brother is the proprietor of Napi’s.
100 Alden Street
Corrected text: The official name for this “concierge condominium” complex is Seashore Point. But you’ll often hear it called the Manor (“She’s up at the Manor these days, God love her”), since it supplanted and eventually replaced the Cape End Manor, a 28-bed municipal nursing home that was built on this site in 1980 to replace the facility at 26 Alden. In 2006, management of the Manor was transferred from the town to Deaconess Abundant Life Communities and ground was broken on the first 43 units of Seashore Point, designed by EGA Architects of Newburyport. The first residents, Dr. Richard and Barbara Keating of Truro, arrived in 2008. The final 38 units of the project, overseen by the developer Ken Weiss, were completed in 2014.
124 Alden Street
Corrected text: Catholicism and Portuguese national identity are closely tied together at the Cape end, as even the briefest stroll through the 12-acre Cemetery of the Church of St. Peter the Apostle will reveal, on headstones carved with names like Avellar, Cabral, Cordeiro, Corea, Costa, Duarte, Dutra, Ferreira, Flores, Lopes, Macara, Santos, Silva, Souza, and Taves. The land was acquired in 1869, even before the church at 11 Prince was built. It is owned by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Fall River. Renovations of the cemetery were begun in 1952, during the pastorate of Msgr. Leo J. Duart, who also bequeathed money for the construction of the cemetery chapel, which opened in 1976. The sculptural scene of Calvary was donated by the Rev. Manuel C. Terra.